Thursday, July 1, 2010

fat

Health Magazine released today their "opinion" of The 50 Fattiest Foods in America. If you know me well, you know if I use quotations I am being insulting. I would like to argue that I could probably find 50 foods in Louisiana alone fattier (is that word?) than beloved beignets, a favorite for locals and tourists alike. I digress. If you are interested, check out your state here.

I can't decide if this list grosses me out or if I want to try them. Some are crazy (a BLT with 20 pieces of bacon???), some are lame (poor Massachusetts got a chocolate chip cookie), but my all time favorite is from my dear home state, Georgia. I introduce you to...The Luther Burger. Named after R&B legend Luther Vandross (not sure if he ate them but Health Magazine wanted to make sure we knew he was diabetic in the article).

credit

A ground-beef patty, topped with cheese and bacon between two Krispy Kreme glazed donuts instead of a bun. I will not bother including the nutrition information because unlike Health magazine, I don't like to think about that when I am enjoying something delicious (not saying this is delicious, just saying).

Disclaimer: As a dietitian I am not promoting eating like this to the public (or blog world), I'm just saying it's okay to indulge, in moderation...which I guess might not include 20 pieces of bacon.

6 comments:

Peter said...

My first thought upon seeing that 'Luther Burger' was, sod the nutrition information, that looks like an awful waste of a nice doughnut and a nice burger.

Who on earth looks at those two and decides they ought to be combined? More to the point, who looks at them, tries combining them and then *likes* the monstrosity enough to actually name it?

PJW

PS. While 'fattier' isn't technically a word, neither is 'fattiest'. So at least you can say Health Magazine started it.

Marty said...

A donut burger?? Martha would have a stroke at the calories. Ha!

Emily said...

Oh, that just makes me ill. But I agree on moderation - this just wouldn't be my choice!

Unknown said...

well. these things are fat, while you might say that these things can be taken in moderation, our men dont get it, they think moderation means thrice a week. tell me how to hold them back from indulging everyday??

The Beans said...

That is just really, really messed up...Krispy Kreme and beef? Ugh.

-French Bean

Allie said...

Oh my gosh! That photo makes me queasy. People really eat stuff like that?