Tuesday, March 18, 2008

New Things #4-8

New Thing #4: Nerd's Jelly Beans. A new candy consisting of a hard and crunch nerds shell with a jelly bean center. All in all an easy new thing for a Friday and well liked by the Futrell household. What will they think of next?

New Thing #5: St. Patrick's Day New Orleans Style. Due to Holy Week, New Orleans decided to hold St. Patrick's festivities on Saturday. This consists of a parade of course, but not just any parade. I have experienced literally over a dozen Mardi Gras and I wasn't prepared for this. Men, old and young, drunk and sober, carrying around fake flowers that you must give them a kiss to receive. Also along with beads, riders throw vegetables. Yes, vegetables. Cabbages, carrots, potatoes, you name it. I was the proud recipient of a cabbage that I brought home to feed to our tortoise.

New Thing #6: Today I ventured with the fab four to Pensacola for my 1.5 day Spring Break. It was a delightful experience filled with 2.5 pounds of seafood, 4 hours in the sun, 0 minutes in the 40 degree water, and fun with friends. 

New Thing #7: I was waiting for a new thing to come, and I knew it would since we were in Pensacola, but I didn't know it would be so much fun. I think I am most excited about this new thing. My friend Caitlin introduced me to the world of a National Park Passport. You have a passport and at each national park/monument you visit you get a stamp. It is divided by regions and provides you with a listing of all locations in the American National Park Service. I am excited to begin filling up my passport! I already have 4 stamps from our adventure. We hiked along the Gulf Islands National Seashore. A 2/3 mile walk that turned into 2.3 or 23 if we didn't turn around. 

Fact for the day: Yellowstone was the worlds first national park that was created more than 125 years ago.

New Thing #8: In a rush at 10:00 to think of something new I decided that I would learn how to say "I love you" in 25 different languages. Here are the results:

German: "Ich liebe dich"; Creole: "Mi aime jou"; Hebrew: "Ani ohev et otha; Hungarian: "Szeretlek"; Italian: "Ti amo"; Japanese: "Aishiteru"; Chinese: "Wo ai ni"; Korean: "Sarag Heyo"; Norwegian: "Jeg Elsker Deg"; Portuguese: "Eu te amo"; Russian: "Ya tebya liubliu"; Tamil: "Naan unnai kathalikiraen"; Hindi: "Hum Tumhe Pyar Karte hae"; Greek: "S'agapo"; Farsi: "Doset daram"; Arabic "Ana behibak"; Dutch: "Ik hou van jou"; French:    "Je t'aime"; Georgian: "Mikvarhar"; Hawaiian: "Aloha wau ia oi"; Kannada: "Naa ninna preetisuve"; Lebanese: "Bahibak"; Romanian: "Te ubesk"; Swahili: "Ninapenda wewe"; Thai: "Phom rak khun"; Albanian: "Te dua".

It is true you can never say "I love you" or "Te amo" enough. I also learned that in several languages there are different ways of saying it to either a male or female. Now I have the song "Love in every language" stuck in my head :)

No comments: