Thursday, September 25, 2008

New Thing #199: Share the Road!

I love riding bikes. I received my first bike for Christmas when I was five and have loved it ever since. I rode my bike to class in in college, I love riding on trails, at the park, etc. Today I needed to be somewhere just a mile from my house so, considering 1) I don't like driving and 2) gas is about a million dollars, I decided it would be a good first time to ride my bike as a method of transportation here in New Orleans. Let me just tell you it was one hellacious experience. My street is one way and very narrow with cars parked on both sides. Cars driving down would practically run me over just so they could get to their destination that was oh so more important than mine. So I decided to cut over and ride through Tulane's campus. Even worse. Oblivious college students texting, calling, walking in the middle of the road. And the worst part was I was stared at like I was in the way. Not to mention the pot holes were a little to much for Blue (yes I named my road bike) with his skinny tires. I think we will stick to trails and parks from now on. Enough ranting, but I now have a new appreciation for bikers. Please, share the road!

No comments: