Saturday, July 12, 2008

New Thing #124: Treasures of Napoleon

Saturday, we all went to the Treasures of Napoleon exhibit at the Louisiana Mint. It was such a great exhibit. Stolen from the exhibit website, some of the artifacts included: the earliest known letter in his has, the valise that brought him the signed Louisiana Purchase documents from America, the sword that proclaimed him Emperor in the Coronation Ceremony in Notre Dame, his personal map of the French Empire, and what I thought was the coolest, one of his legendary hats worn during battle. It was interesting to see his story, his life, and how he single handedly both reformed France and destroyed its freedom. He was a brilliant man with not so brilliant ideals. 
This picture amuses me--French exhibit, American flag.

Afterwards we headed over to Cafe du Monde for beignets and iced coffee. In the back you can watch beignets being made. I have been to Cafe du Monde many, many times but I have never seen that, it was like that Krispy Kreme in Atlanta, you get to see behind the scenes.

proof I went to Cafe du Monde because I forgot to take a picture and a poor attempt to copy erin's self-portrait skills

2 comments:

tin can photography said...

you're too kind!

man, i don't think i would be missin some almond croissant as much if i had me some cafe du monde beignets:(

tin can photography said...

and as you can recall from the mediterranean, my skills had nowhere to go but up!