Sunday, July 13, 2008

New Thing #125: Fête Nationale

Or Bastille Day, or quatorze jullet, or the French National Holiday celebrated on July 14th, except in New Orleans, when we celebrate it on July 13th, because we can. This year our pastor and his family hosted a party, this being the first time I have celebrated Bastille Day. I feel this is very appropriate seeing I just spent time in France, two of my best friends are fluent in French, and one is living there this Summer. I have connections. 

Interesting fact, the actual siege took place on July 11, 1789...July 14, 1790 a feast occurred to celebrate the uprising of the constitutional monarchy...fast-forward June 30, 1878 a feast was set by official decision to honor the Republic (see painting) and another feast was held on July 14. Then some frenchman proposed to have a law making July 14 the official national holiday, it was passed and has been a day of celebration ever since!

my mom took this picture in d'Orsay when we were in Paris of Claude Monet's 
Rue Montorgueil, Paris, Festival of 30 June 1878

No comments: