Wednesday, April 2, 2008

New Thing #23 Organic is as Organic Does



So Caitlin's birthday is tomorrow and I decided to make cupcakes. This evening again, turned out to be a "If you give a mouse a cookie..." situation. I seem to have a lot of these.

I needed to go to a grocery store close to my house. I chose Whole Foods. I enter whole foods only to realize that they have cake mix, but no frosting in a can, apparently they don't make an organic version. So I have this internal debate on the baked goods aisle about making icing from scratch, is it worth it? Should I just go to Winn-Dixie? So I decided to jump in. I purchased organic cake mix, and organic ingredients to mix in with it. I also bought organic powdered sugar, heavy cream, and butter for the icing. To make it chocolate I also purchased all natural cocoa (which was $8.99!). Then to top it off I wanted sprinkles. Sprinkles do not exist in the organic world, here they are called "party decoratifs". Who knew. Also I even used 100% natural, biodegradable cupcake liners. The name of the company was "If You Care", how patronizing and guilt causing is that?

Needless to say it was a fun experience and the icing is amazing if I do say so my self. I will let you all know what my critics say tomorrow. I am proud of myself for proving that it is is possible to make 100% organic cupcakes, vanilla with chocolate frosting, AND sprinkles (I mean decoratifs) if you put your mind to it. 


No comments: