Sunday, April 27, 2008

New Thing #48: Für Elise

Today I wanted to do an outside new thing, but weather was not permitting. In true Lauren procrastination mode last night I was reading the blog of my dear friend Jennifer and I copied one of her new ideas. 

I started taking piano lessons when I was five and continued until I was 18. The sad thing is after I went away to college I didn't really play anymore. I would play occasionally at home over breaks but that was about it. I didn't have  a piano in Nashville and we didn't have one in our apartment here in New Orleans. In October we moved back into our house, and I have had one since then. Every day I walk by it, my cousin plays when he is home, but I never have.

I have this huge personality flaw of not trying something I know will be difficult for me. I was never gifted to play by ear, and had to work really hard at playing the piano, but it was always worth it. Today, the rest of my family was at a movie and I had the house to myself, a VERY rare thing, so I decided to jump in. I played the piano for the first time at our house in New Orleans. I found one of my cousin's piano books and played for about an hour. It was frustratingly wonderful.  I stumbled over most notes, but I enjoyed when I came to a familiar piece and my muscle memory would kick in and my fingers would glide over they keys. It was refreshing and made me realize a blessing that I have been avoiding because of the fear of "relearning." When will I learn that the best things are the ones you have to work for :)

No comments: