Tuesday, April 29, 2008

New Thing #50: What A Wonderful World

Today, I actually had a new thing planned out. I went with friends to free scoop day at Ben & Jerry's, which was a lovely time but ended up not being what I wanted to blog about.

As I was riding the shuttle back to the Tulane Uptown campus I struck up a conversation with the bus driver, Darryl. Darryl begins to tell me all about his past jobs, experiences, his Katrina story. Come to find out, that Darryl's grandfather was Louis Armstrong's first cousin. Cousin Louis would come to their house from time to time and sing with Darryl. In Darryl's words "Cousin Louis told me that his voice wouldn't die until I did, because I sound just like him." He asked me if I wanted him to sing for me, and I said of course. So today, I was serenaded by Louis Armstrong's cousin with What A Wonderful World. Let me tell you, this man sounded just like Louis Armstrong. He continued to chat with me about life, struggles, and the tears and blessings that have come out of Katrina. I love this city so much, and this is one of the reasons. The serendipitous occasions to have genuine conversations with people. People aren't too busy to stop and share, to commiserate and celebrate, to serenade and placate. Darryl made my day, my week, probably without knowing it. What a Wonderful World. 



No comments: