Monday, April 28, 2008

New Thing #49: Summer Reading

I love books. I love buying them, reading them, and discussing them. As a child I loved the summer reading programs at the library where you would read so many books and then get free Pizza Hut or a ticket to a Brave's game or something. Summer reading in high school became less glamourous as the assigned readings were not what I would have chosen personally, and many times I ended up skimming or reading the cliff notes, gasp. 

The problem with this love for reading is that it has been halted since this time in high school. Being in school, I have used that as an excuse. I read on breaks, and during free summers, but those became few and far between. So today, as I was tasting my new found freedom that will come May 7, I compiled a summer reading list of 25 books I am going to read this summer. This list is an eclectic collection of books that I own, yet have not read, books I've wanted to read, and books recommended by friends verbally or through their favorite books on facebook (so I hope you people took that section seriously :) The reading may continue on through the summer but I am excited about the freedom to read freely! 

Listed in no particular order: 

1. Love Walked In 2. The God of Small Things 3. Freakonomics 4. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone  5. Gone With the Wind 6. Blink   7. The History of Love   8. House of Sand & Fog 9. Jane Eyre  10. The Audacity of Hope  11. To Kill a Mocking Bird 12. East of Eden
13. A Confederacy of Dunces  14. The End of Poverty 15. John Adams   16. I Am America (And So Can You!)    17. The Great Awakening      18. Eat, Pray, Love   19. Omnivore's Dilemma         20. All The King's Men 21. Forever in Blue    22. Digging to America 23. A Thousand Splendid Suns 24. The Alchemist 25. Marley & Me

4 comments:

Marty said...

A Confederacy of Dunces is my favorite book. IT IS HILARIOUS! You'll especially like it since you live in NO and will know where everything is.

Kirsten said...

If you like to borrow, I have 3, 4, 14, 16, 17 and 19.

Anonymous said...

I just finished # 1. I'll mail it to you if you'll send me your address. Such a good read! I cried like a baby.

Renee Crosby said...

Hey - I just read Love Walked and
A Confederacy of Dunces is an old fave! Actually a copy a friend bought while we were in New Orleans about 8 years ago. Happy reading. :>