Wednesday, May 7, 2008

New Thing #58: Don't Try This at Home

Set the stage. Last final of graduate school. Taking the test at a University 30 minutes from my house. Sit down at 9:51 am to take a final at 10:00 am. It is a physics final. Let me translate, practically a math final. I realize I don't have my calculator. Panic sets in.

I approach my "transed" teacher (ask me about that if you are interested) who informs me that he has lent out his calculator and apparently has NO idea where to find one in the whole Science building at UNO. Yes, this is my life. I ask if I can use my cell phone and he says, "will it make noise?" Seriously? So, that was my only option. I crunched the numbers as best I could, calculated square roots and exponents in my head. Set up all of the problems but wasn't able to calculate all of them, due to the fact that my cell phone only allows you to enter 13 digits. Yes, ladies and gentleman, I took my Physics final with my cell phone calculator. 

I must have been entranced because I walked out of the final with all confidence. I think this is my coping mechanism, denial. It is a catastrophe I had no control over and all I can hope is that the cosmic forces align that my absent minded professor gives me grade mercy.

That aside the finale of grad school was celebrated with a lovely lunch at Cafe Rani with Grace and Caitlin, winning the hair lottery (more to come later), Wednesday at the Square, and just relaxing with friends.
3 cheers for completing graduate studies!

No comments: