Sunday, May 18, 2008

New Thing #69: Evil Incarnate

If you know me but at all, you will hear my opinion on two entities which I don't understand how their executives can sleep at night--health insurance and pharmaceutical companies. Their sole purpose of existence is to economically drain Americans while providing them with incomparable  services. The bottom line is money, you know it, I know it, and they know it. However, we can't do without either so we must buy into their game of monopolization and victimization. 

I purchased health insurance from Tulane University for two years. August 2006-August 2008. Paid in full, for 24 months. However, Aetna's policy is that a student's plan runs out when they graduate. So, even though I paid for 24 months of health insurance, I will only be receiving 21 months. Today I had to shop for health insurance, due to the fact that I will not begin working full time until August, I need something to cover me for the Summer, especially since I will be traveling abroad. It was a tedious and unproductive process. Due to pre-existing medical conditions, and not having a set income, I am going to have to set up an appointment with an insurance officer which could take two weeks! This is my own fault for not searching sooner, but I sure hope that I don't get injured or mauled by a lion escaping from the zoo. I will stop complaining because I know it is not fun to read, and I am well aware that my plight is ideal compared to many of the uninsured patients I will serve, so I should count my blessings.

No comments: