Saturday, May 31, 2008

New Thing #82: Warning: Reader Discretion Advised

A week before graduation I won the hair lottery. While I thought I was getting my hair cut that Wednesday of my last final, my hairdresser asked me if I absolutely had to have it cut that day. Odd question I thought, but my only response was that I needed a trim so as not to look raggedy for the graduations, but yes I could wait. So he cleaned my hair up for free that day and left me with an invitation to return on May 31 at 6:00. That night several Aveda stylists from the area were coming together to do a hair expo of sorts. Cut, color, and style, all for free. Each person got to choose several hair models and I was going to be one!

I arrived Saturday night with the expectation that I would have a chin length bob and learn how to deal with my unmanageable frizzy hair. It was fun hanging out at the salon after hours, a jam session of sorts for stylists. As I was waiting the stylist that my hairdresser apprenticed under asked me if I would be his project...actually he said "do you want something fun?" I agreed and then said the infamous words that every hairstylist loves to hear...

"you can do whatever you want"

6.5 hours later, the finished product was shorter and blonder than I had imagined but I love it! I must admit to a panic attack Sunday morning wishing it was a dream and I could undo it. Since then, 99.9% of comments have been very positive and the consensus is that I can pull it off.
It is still taking some getting used to, meaning every time I look in the mirror I do a double-take, but I think it will be great for a New Orleans summer and fabulous for my Europe trip! 

So here are the pictures, not as many as I would like but can give you an idea:

before, obviously
post-cut with my friend sophia from school who also has a trendy new haircut!
the final "jazzy, sassy, new yorker" (some of the responses) hair cut

3 comments:

Marty said...

I LOVE IT! You are so cool and brave. It will look cute wavy, too. You have the face to wear any hairdo! You go girl.

tin can photography said...

yes! i'm so excited you took the plunge! i wonder if our do's will make corinne wonder what if...hey, it could happen!

Senegal Daily said...

Very cute - and you definitely pull it off.