Tuesday, May 27, 2008

New Thing #78: Tango and Rebirth

Tuesday included two fun new things. A guy at my church is from Honduras and occasionally hosts Tango parties. I love to dance but mostly ballet, interpretive, and crazy so I know nothing about such organized dances. So, new thing #1 tango party! It was really fun learning the moves and the art of the tango. A "relationship" between the guy and the girl. I must admit, and this is my mom's fault because when we danced in the kitchen when I was a child she let me lead, but I have trouble letting the guy lead. This may also be a life metaphor I need to work on.

Afterwards I went with a friend to see Rebirth Brass Band play at Maple Leaf. This, like Mardi Gras, a crawfish boil, or Jazz Fest is a quintessential New Orleans experience. In fact you aren't a true New Orleanian until you have completed this task. I'm glad I went and it was so much fun! The hot Summer night, yes Summer officially starts in May here, was complete with music, dancing, drinks, and friends.

No comments: