Monday, May 12, 2008

New Thing #63: Do It Yourself

This is a story of another "If you give a mouse a cookie..." incident in the life of Lauren Futrell.

One of my dad's speakers went out in his car. He commutes almost an hour one way for his job, so my mom decided that for an early Father's Day present we would replace it. So I went to Best Buy thinking I would just leave the car there and they could install it. Well, the cute sales person, we will call him Speaker (the name of my imaginary friend as a child) tells me that he thinks I can do it myself. While flirting, Speaker assures me that this is an easy task and that this will save me $50.

Thinking this would take about an hour, four hours later my brother and I installed a car speaker. I learned all about taking off a door panel, cutting/stripping/crimping wires, bolting the speaker in, and putting the door panel back on which was not an easy task. My brother and I completed this task together and I could not have done it without him! Definitely one of my more interesting "new things!" My only regret is that there are no photos to document the occurrence of this event.

In other news, today I also received the same graduation present that I received for Christmas. Yes, I have a new road bike, identical to the old one. I didn't plan it that way but that is how it turned out. Some of the parts are different so it is not completely irreverent of poor Blue Bird, may she rest in one piece. My mom says this new bike is a boy, his name is Blue, after Greg Blue the UGA football player. Yes, I name inanimate objects :). 

1 comment:

Marty said...

Rest in one piece! Good one.